Friday, March 9, 2007

Tiger Deflects Political Questions

Former NBA star Charles Barkley recently suggested that he was going to press his friend Tiger Woods to get involved in the world of politics. Barkley, once rumored to have aspirations to run for elected office, told Sen. Barack Obama that he should recruit Tiger to support his 2008 presidential bid.

At his Washington news conference this week, I asked Tiger if the fact that he was hosting a tournament in this very political town and was meeting congressional leaders signaled his foray into the world of politics.

"Well, I don't know,” Tiger said. “I've had experience in the past, meeting influential people in the political arena. But right now my main focus is with the foundation and all of my energy is directed to that. I don't know what my future holds for me beyond that and beyond my playing days, but as of right now I have my hands full with trying to put a little white ball in the hole and obviously, with the birth of our first child and expanding our learning center to the East Coast and, then hopefully, to our foundation around the world. I've got my plate full for right now.”

At an early evening reception, someone else asked him a similar question. “Politics...All I know is, that’s harder than hitting a high draw (not really!),” Tiger said. “Politics, I don’t know. I have a few things I want to take care of on the course first.”

Answered like a true politician.


Hitting range balls while wondering whatever happened to Dow Finsterwald.