Wednesday, January 2, 2008

2008 Resolutions

Mr. Fairway is not big on resolutions, primarily because they usually end up like a wooden tee on par three – broken and scattered. However, he will make an exception for 2008.

First, I am going to resolve to pay no attention to Michelle Wie, the overrated former teen sensation. I’m going to get plenty of help ignoring her this year since her camp announced that she will not enter any men’s tour events. It’s about time. I reserve my right to break this resolution if she wins a tournament, but based on her performance in 2007 there isn’t much danger in that.

I also was going to resolve to pay not attention to Rory “The Mouth that Roared” Sabbatini. But the reality is that he is just too entertaining to ignore. Kind of like paying attention to John Daly and car wrecks…you want to see the carnage. His WD at the Target World Challenge was a personal affront to Tiger Woods and I want to see how that plays out over the course of the year.

Finally, I’m reinventing a resolution I have made in previous years with differing degrees of success. I am going to spend more time practicing my short game. All ration and reason indicates that average golfers could improve faster by spending more time working on their chips, pitches, sand shots, putting and other shots from 100 yards to the green. But it’s more fun to use limited practice time bashing balls on the range trying to replicate the amazing distance of Bubba Watson or Tiger Woods. It’s not going to happen for me so I’m going to make the best of it and try to improve by working on the short game. I’ll get back to you this summer on how it goes.

Hitting range balls while wondering whatever happened to Paul Bondeson.