Sunday, May 20, 2007

Golfer's Tan

It’s not even June 1 and my golfer tan is already in full bloom. Admit it, you have one, too. Your legs are tan from just above the knees and all the way down to your ankles, where there is a distinct line marked by your anklets. What, you don’t wear anklets with your golf shoes? Are you kidding me? Any sock longer than an anklet is so out. Get with the program. At least my legs don’t look like out of bounds stakes any more. Anyway, your arms are nice and tan but there is one minor problem – the hand on which you wear your golf glove is not tan. Even if you take the glove off to putt, that hand will always be several shades lighter than the opposite hand. That is the telltale sign of a golfer. The back of your neck is tan as is the front of your neck, forming a nice V that matches the opening of your golf shirt. I’m sorry, but I cannot get into buttoning the top button on my golf shirt. Looks too nerdy for me. So this is the look from now until Mr. Fairway goes to the beach at the end of July. Then he suffers the indignity of being un-tan – and sunburned – over the parts of the body. But the golf tan is a sure sign that the summer season is upon us.

Hitting range balls while wondering whatever happened to Kel Nagle.