Sunday, March 11, 2007

Yes to Global Warming

I don’t know about you, but I’m all in favor of global warming. Honestly, if global warming means warmer temperatures during traditionally a cold month, that’s a good thing because I can play golf without dressing like an Eskimo. Over the Christmas holidays, I went to San Francisco and Maui and played three rounds of golf. I returned to Northern Virginia and played 10 rounds of golf between Dec. 26 and Jan. 7. The temperatures ranged from the high 50s to the low 70s and some of my buddies at Paradise Valley were even wearing shorts.

This weekend, Paradise Valley held its annual Icebreaker tournament. It’s called the Icebreaker because the weather should be pretty chilly, if not down right cold. But each of the past two years, competitors in the Icebreaker have been greeted by balmy temperatures in the upper 60s and low 70s. Last year, 25 percent of the field wore shorts. I didn’t see anyone in shorts yesterday but the high was 67 degrees – for an Icebreaker tournament. Earlier in the week, we still had patches of ice and snow on the ground. If this is the result of global warming, then I embrace it. It might be tough on the polar bears and they have my sympathy. But the polar bears aren’t playing golf. So to Al Gore, the Chicken Little of environmental issues, I say, “Turn it up another 10 degrees.”

By the way, Mr. Fairway’s team won the Icebreaker tournament with a score of -33 (two best balls net from foursomes of an A, B, C and D player). In his first serious round of the year, Mr. Fairway hit 11 or 14 fairways.


Hitting range balls while wondering whatever happened to Willie Wood.