Monday, December 15, 2008

Tempest in a C Cup


Steve Williams, the bad boy caddie for Tiger Woods who smashes cameras of unruly photographers, gave an interview to The Guardian in which he calls out Phil Mickelson. Williams, at home in New Zealand, said he wouldn’t call Mickelson a great player because “I hate the prick." Nice. With a touch of no class, he followed that comment with a story about fan at this summer’s U.S. Open at Torrey Pines where Woods and Mickelson were paired together in the first two rounds. According to Williams, as Woods and Mickelson were walking down the 17th fairway, someone in the gallery shouted, "Phil," in Mickelson's direction. Mickelson did not respond. But when the fan called out, “Hey, Mr Mickelson." Phil turned and waved. Williams said the fan yelled out, "Nice tits." Naturally, the gallery got a huge chuckle out of that. In an interview the next day with New Zealand-based Star Times, Williams also said, "I don't particularly like the guy. He pays me no respect at all and hence I don't pay him any respect. It's no secret we don't get along either." Mickelson took the high road. "After seeing Steve Williams' comments all I could think of was how lucky I am to have a class act like Bones (MacKay) on my bag and representing me." Shame on Williams for mouthing off. Tiger also issued a statement on Monday. "I was disappointed to read the comments attributed to Steve Williams about Phil Mickelson, a player that I respect," he said. "It was inappropriate. The matter has been discussed and dealt with." Hope Tiger told Stevie to shut his pie hole. It will be interesting to hear what Tiger says at his news conference on Wednesday in advance of his annual Chevron World Challenge event in California.


Hitting range balls while wondering whatever happened to J.C. Snead.


No comments: